Safety Specialist, V13 – $61,008.00
Chicago Department of Aviation
Number of Positions: 8
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the Locals 1001 of the LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF NORTH AMERICA (BARGAINING UNIT #54).
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
- Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago.”
- Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
- Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Under supervision, inspects safety and accident prevention practices in the workplace, and performs related duties as required performs related duties as required.
- Assists in developing and implementing departmental safety regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Inspects work areas and/or construction sites to ensure working conditions are following Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards and municipal and state safety regulations and policies.
- Makes recommendations to correct observed and reported safety violations and to implement safe work practices including the use of protective gear (e.g., helmets, steel tipped shoes, safety glasses, gloves).
- Checks safety devices (e.g., fire extinguishers, alarms, first aid, emergency equipment) for proper working condition.
- Ensures that safety precautions (e.g., sufficient lighting, warning signs, barricades) are posted near construction or hazardous sites.
- Ensures proper procedures are followed and rescue equipment is accessible to crews working in confined spaces and during excavations.
- Prepares and issues warnings, and/or letters of notification to address violations of safety policies and procedures.
- Investigates accidents to determine their cause and to develop methods and procedures to prevent future occurrences.
- Evaluates automotive and personal injury accident reports for evidence of cause and prepares reports on findings.
- Conducts employee training sessions on safety policies and practices and arranges for product manufacturers to train employees on the proper use of safety equipment and gear.
- Maintains complete and accurate records of personal injury and property accidents.
- Drives to field sites to observe practices.
- Reviews safety policies and practices and assists in updating departmental manuals and policies.
- Attends and/or chairs safety meetings and committees.
Additional duties may be required for this position.
Location: O’Hare International Airport – Aviation Public Safety Building 850 Patton Drive, Chicago, Illinois
Days: Monday – Friday (During Training Period)
Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (During Training Period)
Reporting Hours: Varies, based on operational needs. May include partial weekends and/or evening shifts.
This is a 24/7 on-call operations, will be subject to over-time based on operational needs.
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Two years of experience in accident prevention and safety inspection work; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
NOTE: Candidate(s) selected for hire must pass an airport background check and a Security Threat Assessment (STA).
NOTE: A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required.
NOTE: Must obtain and maintain basic airfield driving certification (Yellow Stripe) within six months of hire.
SELECTION REQUIREMENTS: This position requires applicants to PASS a written test / skills assessment test with multiple components IN ORDER to be interviewed. Interviewed Bidders possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be hired in seniority order and according to the collective bargaining agreement. Interviewed Non-Bidders possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected.
Preference will be given to those who possess:
- Previous work experience in a position requiring accident prevention and safety inspection work.
- Previous professional experience in training staff in accident prevention and safety inspection.
- Level of proficiency operating a personal computer (PC).
- Proficiency level in Microsoft Office applications.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago in an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
City of Chicago – Brandon Johnson, Mayor
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59pm CDT on August 18, 2023
Unposting Date: Aug 18, 2023, 11:59:00 PM
BU: 54. Salary: $61,008.00Pay Basis: Yearly