FOREMAN OF LABORERS
Job Number: 346338
JOB TITLE: FOREMAN OF LABORER
DEPARTMENT: STREETS & SANITATION
These positions are open to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF NORTH AMERICA LOCAL 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT 54). Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid on this position.
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST APPLY ON THE BID ONLY SITE AT: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT.
YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.”
(NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO GET YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION.
Number of Positions: 1
Under general supervision, functions as a working supervisor over work crews, overseeing and supervising Laborers performing unskilled manual work of a physical nature at assigned maintenance, repair or sanitation jobs / work sites, and performs related duties as required.
• Makes daily work assignments, ensures work crews are properly staffed and prioritizes work orders based on available manpower, daily work orders and planned work objectives
• Prioritizes work order requests and makes required re-assignment to ensure management directives are carried out and operational needs are met
• Monitors work in progress, enforcing operating work procedures and ensuring staff compliance with established work safety rules, practices and requirements
• Responds to and resolves problems at work sites relating to personnel, equipment, performance issues and other factors impacting of Laborer productivity
• Provides safety instruction to staff to minimize employee accidents and to promote a safe work environment; reviews incidents of accidents and injuries and prepares reports
• Approves time off requests; monitors performance and conducts performance evaluations; and initiates and enforces disciplinary actions
• Supervises Laborers performing sanitation tasks or assigned to work crews including Loop Operations, Graffiti Removal, Refuse Collections, vacant lot and viaduct cleanups and garage demolitions, rodent baiting, cart management
• Monitors the use of equipment by Laborers in the performance of duties including, but not limited to, power washers, small power tools to clear weeds and underbrush and install snow fences
• Prepares productivity reports, operational reports and related reports
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Location: 1717 West 39th Street
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE.
Two years of work experience as a General Laborer/Laborer OR two years of work experience as a laborer.
A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required
NOTE: Must be able lift up to 75 lbs
NOTE: You must provide a valid US Driver’s License at the time of processing.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. YOU MUST include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) IF YOU FAIL TO PROVIDE this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
Education & Employment Verification – Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diploma must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
This position requires applicants to successfully pass a skills assessment test(s) and complete an interview. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been analyzed and compiled. Applicants who receive a passing score on the test(s) will be selected to interview. The interviewed candidate(s) receiving a passing score on the test(s) and possess the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral interview, will be selected and hired in seniority order.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City of Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at 312-744-4976 (voice) or 312-744-5035 (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation request.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment & Military Friendly Employer.
Please note, all positions with the City of Chicago close promptly at 11:59pm Central Daylight Time (CDT) Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59p.m. CDT on Tuesday, June 1, 2021. No exceptions will be made.
Unposting Date : Jun 1, 2021, 11:59:00 PM
BU: 54 Salary: $45.30