DEPARTMENT OF STREETS & SANITATION
Number of Positions: 9 (additional positions TBD)
Starting Salary: $46,176*
*NOTE: This title is on a step schedule and the salary range for the grade V10 schedule is $46,176 – $77,736. New hires will start at the first step of $46,176 annually. The starting salary is non-negotiable.
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF NORTH AMERICA LOCAL 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT 54).
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
1. Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Under supervision, performs clerical and payroll duties in an assigned district office, and performs related duties as required
- Maintains records of a district’s refuse collection activities (e.g., daily route assignments and units completed, tonnage collected by individual refuse trucks, and bulk, compost, and litter basket pick up assignments)
- Prepares various reports (e.g., manpower distribution and absentee reports, daily truck and hired equipment allocations, street cleaning activity reports)
- Contacts division office on a daily basis to report crew shortages, route completion, and tonnage collected Maintains color coded maps to track daily work progress of crews throughout the districts
- Reviews manpower and maintains absenteeism for staff assigned to the district
- Maintains and prepares overtime seniority rotation
- Prepares various personnel forms (e.g., accident reports, payroll action forms, specialty rates)
- Receives requests from residents for sanitation services and forwards to supervisors
- Operates a computer terminal to update/close out complaints and service requests received from residents
- Provides area police district with information about areas scheduled for street cleaning
- Maintains inventory records of tools and materials issued to the district
- Prepares requisitions to order tools, materials, and office supplies as directed
Additional duties may be required for this position.
HOURS: Monday – Friday; 6:00 am – 2:30 pm
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE.
Two years of clerical work experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
NOTE: You must provide your transcripts or diploma at time of processing, if applicable.
This position requires applicants to complete an interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral interview, will be selected for hire.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Word & Excel
- Proficiency in work involving refuse collection
- Proficiency in preparing reports
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59 pm CDT on Tuesday, October 11, 2022.