AIRPORT OPERATIONS SUPVSR I Job Number: 319615
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST APPLY ON THE BID ONLY SITE AT: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
(Once the website opens, scroll down and click on the button titled “Bid Opportunities.”)
IN ADDITION, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT. YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HANDCORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.”
(NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO OBTAIN YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION.
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF N.A., LOCAL 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT #54).
NUMBER OF VACANCIES: 2
- Visually inspect the condition and maintenance of airfield facilities and surrounding perimeter (e.g., runways, taxiways, ramps, safety areas) to ensure surfaces are free of safety hazards, obstructions and debris and in good physical condition
- Request emergency repairs and monitor work crews on the airfield performing work such as pavement repairs (e.g. potholes), removal of debris and other safety hazards from airfield, and the repair of airfield lighting and signage equipment
- Prepare documentation and reports of airfield inspections, findings and irregularities and maintain daily log of activities / operations logs
- Issue and cancel Notice to Airman (NOTAMS) to provide current information on aviation and airfield conditions including the opening and closing of runways to FAA air traffic control
- Monitor weather service reports, check surface conditions and temperatures and advise city personnel, contractors and other aviation personnel of weather conditions
- Assist senior level Airport Operations Supervisors II in implementing procedures to control access and movement of personnel on the airfield, closing and opening runways and other airfield areas, and approving proper placement of barricades
- Act as a liaison to the FAA, airport administration and the operations tower, monitoring and directing the reporting and dissemination of information relating to construction work, emergency situations and other incidents affecting aircraft movement and field conditions
- Assist in providing appropriate level of response in emergency situations including monitoring responders, taking actions to ensure operational integrity of airfield and maintaining communications with airport management and the operations tower
- Respond to inquiries regarding the status of airfield facilities and maintenance issues
- Coordinate snow removal operations on the airfield and conduct runway and taxiway assessments after cleaning procedures
- Take appropriate action to clear aircraft operating areas and airfield of wildlife hazards
- And, other job related duties as assigned
Location: Midway International Airport
Address: AMC Building, 6200 S. Laramie Avenue, Chicago
Hours/Days Off: Varies
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Two years of airfield operations work experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required. Must obtain airfield certification within six months of hire.
Work environment requires the ability to operate an SUV and truck and requires the ability to climb two flights of stairs through a narrow passageway. Some lifting (up to 25 pounds) is required.
NOTE: This position requires the selected incumbent to be available nights, weekends, and holidays based on operational needs. In addition, outside work/inspection is required with possible exposure to fumes, dust, noise, and work in all weather conditions.
NOTE: The candidates selected for hire must pass an airport background check and a Security Threat Assessment.