Job Number: 6287-DSS-2023
SUPERVISOR OF FIELD VEHICLE INVESTIGATORS
DEPARTMENT OF STREETS & SANITATION
BUREAU OF TRAFFIC SERVICES
Number of Positions: 2
Starting Salary: $66,972
*NOTE: This title is on a step schedule and the salary range for the grade V14 schedule is $66,972 – $112,668. New hires will start at the first step of $66,972 annually. The starting salary is non-negotiable.
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF NORTH AMERICA LOCAL 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT 54).
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
- Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
- Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
- Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Under general supervision, performs and supervises Field Vehicle Investigators performing field inspections in response to requests for the removal of abandoned or hazardous vehicles from city streets, thoroughfares, and public and private lots; oversees the removal of vehicles impeding construction, special events and emergency situations; and performs related duties as required.
- Prioritizes and makes daily work assignments, ensuring the efficient allocation of Field Vehicle Investigators (FVIs) to different geographical areas of the city; ensures staff has required resources (e.g. city vehicle, hand held device, radio) to perform field work
- Oversees and monitors field activities of staff engaged in responding to 311CSR complaints of abandoned or hazardous vehicles, ensuring established operating procedures are followed in the inspection and reporting of located vehicles for towing or relocation
- Reviews FVIs daily activity reports, compiles data and prepares productivity reports for the unit; conducts random checks of GPS records against daily activity sheets to verify reported locations and work completed by staff
- Conducts inspections in response to emergencies, aldermanic requests or court orders, locating vehicle(s), taking pictures to document appearance and location, preparing required vehicle tow reports, and coordinating the towing or relocation of vehicles
- Oversees and monitors seasonal FVIs working primarily in the Overnight Parking Ban program, enforcing no parking/ tow zones restrictions during snow season
- Trains staff on work procedures including required inspection, reporting and enforcement actions relating to the towing or relocation of abandoned, hazardous or illegally parked vehicles
- Implements safety work procedures and practices to minimize employee accidents and to promote a safe work environment
- Monitors work performance, reviews time records and approves time off and vacation schedules; enforces personnel work rules; initiates and enforces disciplinary actions as required
- Responds to accidents and incidents involving staff; takes pictures to document damage to vehicles; ensures required reports are completed; and accompanies employee for drug and alcohol testing if required
- May testify at administrative or court hearings on cases relating to towed or relocated vehicles
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Location: 1717 W. Pershing
Days Off: will vary
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE.
Four years of work experience as a Field Vehicle Investigator OR four years of work experience in enforcing or inspecting for compliance license requirements, parking regulations, federal and state laws or local ordinances. A valid State of Illinois Driver’s license is required.
NOTE: You must provide your valid U.S. driver’s license at time of processing.
This position requires applicants to successfully pass a skills assessment test and complete an interview. The candidates that receive a passing score on the skills assessment tests will be invited to interview for the position. Candidate(s) receiving a passing score on the tests and possess the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral interview, will be selected. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been analyzed and compiled.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Software
- Proficiency in knowledge of Chicago municipal codes as it relates to abandoned vehicles
- Previous supervisory experience
- Previous experience working with databases
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59 pm CDT on Monday, June 26, 2023.
BU: 54. Salary: $66,972Pay Basis: Yearly