Go to our Jobs section on the Local 1001 app for more details and a link to apply.
DISTRICT SUPVSR – GRAFFITI REMOVAL SERVICES
DEPARTMENT: STREETS & SANITATION
These positions are open to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF NORTH AMERICA LOCAL 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT 54). Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid on this position.
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAININGUNIT.
YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.”
(NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO GET YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNITWILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION.
Number of Positions: 1
Under general supervision, supervises work crews and coordinates and directs graffiti removal operations within an assigned district, and performs related duties as required
- Assigns and directs various work crews of laborers, hoisting engineers and painters engaged in using mechanical sprayers and related tools to paint over graffiti or chemical power washing and/or operating soda blasting equipment for the removal of graffiti
- Plans and schedules the use of work crews using specialized chemicals and materials for the removal of graffiti from specific surface types
- Reviews computerized service request and makes daily work assignments to crews, prioritizing and scheduling graffiti removal services to maximize efficiency of operations
- Authorizes the requisitioning of needed materials, supplies and equipment to ensure trucks are properly equipped for crews to complete job assignments
- Oversees and directs the training of staff in the proper and safe use of graffiti removal tools and equipment and the proper cleaning and maintenance of equipment and vehicles
- Drives a vehicle to inspect work completed or in progress, monitor individual crew productivity and ensure that proper work methods and safety procedures are followed
- Inspects buildings and structures to assess extent of graffiti and whether available resources and equipmen can access and/or remove graffiti; confers with property managers and owners to explain city’s graffiti removal methods and to schedule graffiti removal services
- Prepares various management reports on work operations including program initiatives, number of jobs completed, work crew productivity levels, and materials and supplies used
- Coordinates work efforts with management to plan new initiatives and to effectively respond to emergency or high priority requests for graffiti removal services in the district
- Schedules and conducts safety meeting with district staff as required; prepares and signs off on injury and accident reports
- Monitors subordinates work performance and initiates and enforces disciplinary action as required
- Uses bolt cutters to cut locks and gain access to areas to remove graffiti as required
- Maintains vacation schedules, and monitors reports for absenteeism
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Hours: 6:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Monday – Friday
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE.
Five years of work experience in the areas of graffiti removal, sanitation or street operations; A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required