Members who are interested in positions should apply using the link below.
Job Number: 288118 – JOB TITLE: FORESTRY SUPERVISOR
Department: STREETS & SANITATION
This position is covered under the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the County, Municipal and Foreman Local 1001. (BARGAINING UNIT 54). Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid on this position.
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT. YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.” (NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO GET YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION.
Number of Positions: 1
Under general supervision, supervises forestry crews engaged in the planting, maintenance, and removal of trees and plant materials for landscape beautification projects
· Plans, assigns, and supervises the work activities of forestry crews engaged in the planting, trimming, removal, insect and disease management, and storm damage response of trees and shrubbery on City parkways
· Develops and implements work plans and prepares time lines for the completion of projects
· Conducts on-site inspections to ensure the quality and timeliness of work and to ensure that staff follow proper safety procedures
· Supervises staff in the disposal of landscaping debris
· Enforces provisions in the City of Chicago Municipal Code, Chapter 10-32 Trees, Plants and Shrubs, as directed by the Deputy Commissioner of Forestry
· Supervises the completion of surveys to inspect and assess trees and other plant materials to determine the quality, rate of growth, and insect and disease damage
· Inspects equipment for proper condition and operation and authorizes repairs or replacement as necessary
· Supervises crew work technique to ensure correct and safe arboricultural practices are followed and provides corrective instruction when necessary to meet procedural compliance
· Determines crew staffing levels, schedules vacations, and performs daily timekeeping in Kronos
· Monitors productivity and performance of forestry crews and prepares related activity reports
· Reviews and evaluates employee performance and administers disciplinary action when needed
· Confers with residents and businesses on landscaping problems, as required
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Hours: 6:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Monday – Friday
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE.
Three years of work experience in the trimming, planting, care, and removal of trees; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required. Must be certified as an Arborist by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA). Must have State of Illinois, Department of Agriculture Pesticide Operator and Pesticide Application Licenses
Must be able to obtain State of Illinois Department of Agriculture Pesticide Operator and Pesticide Applicator licenses within 6 months of date hired.
Must be able to obtain certification as an Arborist by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) within 6 months of date hired.
NOTE: Persons hired into this title must have the permanent use of an automobile that is properly insured including a clause specifically insuring the City of Chicago from accident liability. You must provide your valid U.S. driver’s license AND proof of automobile insurance at the time of processing.
NOTE: Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs.
NOTE: You must provide your professional licenses and training certificates at time of processing. You must also provide transcripts or diploma at time of processing, if applicable.
Disclaimer – “Accredited” means any nationally or regionally accredited college, university, or law school where the applicant is enrolled in or has completed an Associates, Bachelors, Masters, or Juris Doctorate degree program.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. YOU MUST include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) IF YOU FAIL TO PROVIDE this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
Education & Employment Verification – Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diploma must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
This position requires applicants to complete an interview which will include a written exercise as part of the interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral and written parts of the interview will be selected in seniority order.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City of Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required. .
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at 312-744-4976 (voice) or 312-744-5035 (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation request.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Opportunity & Military Friendly Employer.
Unposting Date: Oct 10, 2017, 9:59:00 PM
BU: 54 Salary: $60,372.00