Members who are interested in positions should apply using the link below.
SUPERVISING TIMEKEEPER – LABORER
Job Number: 293243
Department of Transportation
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with COUNTY, MUNICIPAL SUPERVISORS AND FOREMAN LOCAL 1001 (BARAGINING UNIT 54).
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST APPLY ON THE BID ONLYSITE AT: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
(Once the website opens, scroll down and click on the button titled “Bid Opportunities.”)
IN ADDITION, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT.
YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.”
(NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO OBTAIN YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION.
Number of Positions: 1
Under general supervision, assigns, monitors, and reviews timekeeping and payroll procedures and practices of a large City department, and performs related duties as required. This position is within the payroll division.
Performs timekeeping and payroll functions, maintaining and updating automated and manual timekeeping records and processing payrolls
- Monitors employee CATA (Chicago Automated Time and Attendance) records by checking entries of employees time worked against time in and time out swipes and edit forms to ensure complete and accurate time records
- Reviews edits on the CATA system made by field editors to ensure proper coding and updating of records for hours not worked, vacation time used, acting up pay adjustments and missed swipes
- Updates CATA records to reflect time off actions including furloughs, suspensions and sick time, and overtime hours worked based on edit forms and time off requests submitted by field editors
- Provides training and guidance to field editors on navigating the CATA system and the proper editing and coding of time records in compliance with City and union bargaining unit pay requirements
- Reviews payroll registers for accuracy against CATA records and ensures that payroll actions including pay rate changes and deductions are properly recorded
- Applies established procedures and makes appropriate calculations to adjust payrolls and resolves errors and discrepancies in employees’ paychecks
- Responds to payroll inquiries from employees regarding hours paid, deductions, vacation and time off balances
- Reviews time and payroll records and makes payroll adjustments to resolve errors and discrepancies
- Provides orientation to new employees on use of CATA system and department’s time and attendance rules
- Explains and interprets union contract provisions relating to pay and overtime rates and city policies on time off including docks, suspensions and furloughs
- Generates various reports using the CATA system
- Advises supervisors of noted irregularities, patterns of missed swipes or suspected misuse of the CATA system by employees
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class
Location: 30 N. LaSalle Street, Suite 600 Chicago, IL 60602
Days: Monday – Friday
Hours: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
Two years of timekeeping and/or payroll preparation experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Disclaimer – “Accredited” means any nationally or regionally accredited college, university, or law school where the applicant is enrolled in or has completed an Associates, Bachelors, Masters, or Juris Doctorate degree program.
Education & Employment Verification: Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diploma must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
NOTE: You must provide your transcripts or diploma, professional license, or training certificates at time of processing, if applicable.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
This position requires applicants to complete an interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Previous experience in timekeeping/payroll preparation
- Previous experience in training and instructing staff
- Previous supervisory experience
- Previous experience in CATA/CHIPPS
- Proficiency in MS Office Excel at an Intermediate level
Application Instructions: Interested applicants should apply at the City of Chicago’s application website: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
VETERANS PREFERENCE NOTE: The City of Chicago offers Veterans Preference to both current, active military personnel AND military personnel who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and have received an honorable or general discharge. Eligible candidates must have at least six months of active duty documented. In order to receive the veterans preference, candidates need to indicate whether or not they are a veteran by answering “yes” or “no” to the question on the online application that asks, “Are you currently serving on active duty for at least six months in the Armed Forces of the United States OR have you served in the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty for at least six months and received an honorable or general discharge?” In addition, you must attach documentation to verify your military service. For veterans, you must attach a copy of your DD214 to your online application which includes character of service status OR a letter from the United States Veterans Administration on official stationary stating dates of service and character of service. For active military personnel, you must attach a letter from your Commanding Officer on official stationery verifying your active duty, length of service, and character of service in the Armed Forces of the United States AND a copy of your military ID to your online application. Failure to answer the question and attach the required documentation will result in you not being considered for the Veterans Preference.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at 312-744-4976 (voice) or 312-744-5035 (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer
Unposting Date: Jul 18, 2017, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: $45,672 | Pay Basis:Yearly