Members who are interested in positions should apply using the link below.
Job Number: 306234
DEPARTMENT: STREETS & SANITATION
These positions are open to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF NORTH AMERICA LOCAL 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT 54). Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid on this position.
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT.
YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.”
(NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO GET YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION.
Number of Positions: 56
The City of Chicago has partnered with the County, Municipal Employees’, Supervisors, and Foremen’s Union Local 1001 to establish a three (3) year in-house trainee program, equivalent to 6,240 hours of paid on-the-job training (OJT).
Class is a multi – rate title; rate of pay to individual positions is dependent on the number of hours completed.
Under immediate supervision, performs tree maintenance activities including tree trimming and tree removal, and performs tree related duties as required
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE.
Willingness and ability to perform the duties of the job
· Must meet current aerial bucket lift weight restrictions to comply with OSHA and City of Chicago safety standards
· Extremely heavy lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling (up to 100 lbs.) is required
· Ability to walk and stand for extended or continuous periods of time
· Ability to quickly bend, stretch, twist, or reach out with one’s body, arms, and/or legs
· Ability to climb ladders and/or stairs
· Ability to operate applicable hand tools, power tools, and equipment
· Ability to tolerate heights (up to 100 feet) while working
· Ability to climb in/out of aerial lift bucket
· Ability to lift and hold various equipment (up to approximately 16 pounds) extended away from the body while working for extended periods of time
· Exposure to outdoor weather conditions
· Exposure to loud noise, fumes or dust, oily or wet environment
· Exposure to insects and animals
· Exposure to hazardous conditions (e.g., heavy machinery, live electrical wires)
· Work performed in cramped or confined locations
· Work performed at great heights with the use of safety harness and lanyard
· Aerial lift bucket
· Hand tools (e.g. hammer, screwdriver, wrench, various chainsaws, pole saw, pruner/power pruner, ropes)
· Personal protective equipment (e.g., hard hat, hearing protection, shoes, glasses, gloves, vest, knee pads, chaps, harness)
· Safety devices or equipment (e.g., cones, barricades, metal plates, scaffolding, ropes)
· Powered and manual cleaning equipment (e.g., power washers, leaf blowers, brooms)
· Communication equipment (e.g., two-way radio, multi-channel communication system)
· Standard landscape tools and equipment (e.g., shovel, axe, weed cutter, fogger, dolly, rake, weed whip, chain saw, pole saw, pole pruner, hand pruner, pesticide application equipment)
This position is willing and able. Applicants who successfully apply for the position will be selected in seniority order to go through the hiring process which will include physical abilities testing.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City of Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at 312-744-4976 (voice) or 312-744-5035 (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation request.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment & Military Friendly Employer.
City of Chicago Department of Human Resources
Rahm Emanuel, Mayor Soo Choi, Commissioner
Unposting Date: Mar 30, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: $25.85 |Pay Basis :Hourly