Job Number: 377135
DEPARTMENT OF STREETS & SANITATION
Number of Positions: 2
Starting Salary: $64,728*
*NOTE: This title is on a step schedule and the salary range for the grade V-13 schedule is $64,728 – $108,948. New hires will start at the first step of $64,728 annually. The starting salary is non-negotiable.
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF NORTH AMERICA LOCAL 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT 54).
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
- Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
- Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
- Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Under supervision, inspects safety and accident prevention practices in the workplace, and performs related duties as required
- Assists in developing and implementing departmental safety regulations, policies and procedures
- Inspects work areas to ensure working conditions are in compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards, municipal and state safety regulations, and departmental policies
- Makes recommendations to correct observed and reported safety violations and to implement safe work practices including the use of protective gear (e.g., steel toe safety shoes, safety glasses, gloves)
- Reviews and revises Job Hazard Analysis (JHAs)
- Ensures that safety precautions (e.g., cones, warning signs, barricades) are posted near work sites
- Investigates accidents to determine their cause and to develop methods and procedures to prevent future occurrences
- Evaluates accident reports to determine root cause and corrective actions
- Conducts employee training sessions
- Maintains records of various reports
- Reviews safety policies and practices and assists in updating departmental manuals and policies
- Drives to field sites to observe practices
- Other duties as assigned by management
Additional duties may be required for this position.
HOURS: Monday – Friday; 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE.
Two years of experience in accident prevention and safety inspection work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required.
Physical Requirement: Some lifting (up to 25 pounds)
NOTE: You must provide your valid U.S. driver’s license at time of processing.
NOTE: You must provide your transcripts or diploma at time of processing, if applicable.
This position requires applicants to successfully pass a skills assessment test and complete an interview. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after the test
results have been analyzed and compiled. The candidates that receive a passing score on the skills assessment test will be invited to interview for the position. Candidate(s) receiving a passing score on the test and possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral and written parts of the interview, will be selected.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- OSHA 10 hr or OSHA 30 hr in either Construction (1926) or General Industry (1910)
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Business Administration, Safety Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Industrial Hygiene, General Engineering or a directly related field
- Experience working with unions
- Experience training on safety policies and procedures
- Associate Safety Professional Certification and/or Certified Safety Professional
- Experience in policy development
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Software
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
City of Chicago
Brandon Johnson, Mayor
*The salary is based on current rate of pay and years of service.
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59 pm CDT on Friday, October 20, 2023.
Salary: $62,784.00 – $102,696.00Pay Basis:Yearly