Job Number: 377329
Field Service Specialist II
Department of Transportation
Number of Positions: 6 (Pending 3 upon budget approval)
Starting Salary: $64,728
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the County, Municipal Supervisors and Foremen Local 1001 (Bargaining unit 54)
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
- Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
- Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
- Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Under supervision, performs at the fully functional level, conducting traffic surveys and field inspections of construction activity in the public way, and performs related duties as required.
- Conducts field inspections of construction, demolition, and excavation sites to ensure compliance with relevant laws, rules, regulations, permit and dig ticket terms, policies, and installation plans (collectively known as “criteria”). Inspections shall be conducted using electronic devices.
- Surveys public right of way to identify impacts to traffic flow including obstructions on sidewalks, bike lanes, and traffic lanes. When necessary, advise entity that caused the obstruction on how to comply with approved traffic control plan and maximize safety for right of way users.
- Perform utility damage investigation per 811 Chicago policies.
- Consult with entities to bring site into compliance, issue citations for noncompliance when necessary. Reinspect sites to ensure compliance.
- Organize and prioritize daily inspections agenda based on directives from CDOT management, elected officials, “311” service requests, permit milestones, One Call concerns, sign work orders, and other sources.
- Respond to inspection requests with sufficient data including description of the issue, a proposed solution, and pictures.
- Research construction and obstruction activity using electronic databases, and by interpreting and applying criteria. Close out and reassign open inspections; create new work orders when required.
- Conduct inspections in an effective and efficient manner.
- Maintain field notes, inspection logs, and mileage sheets. Comply with accountability measures including device tracking
Additional duties may be required for this position
Salary: Range from $64,728 – $108, 948 (new hires will start at first step in range)
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
- A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required
- Must have the permanent use of an automobile that is properly insured, including a clause specifically insuring the City of Chicago from accident liability
NOTE: Persons hired into this title must have the permanent use of an automobile that is properly insured including a clause specifically insuring the City of Chicago from accident liability.
You must provide your valid U.S. driver’s license AND proof of automobile insurance at the time of processing.
This position requires applicants to successfully pass a skills assessment test and complete an interview. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been compiled and analyzed. Applicants who receive a passing score on the test will be selected to interview. The interviewed candidate(s) receiving a passing score on the test and possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral interview and written exercise, will be selected for hire
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Proficiency operating electronic devices including mobile phones, computers, and tablets.
- Previous experience with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook, and cloud versions of One Drive
- Previous experience with public way inspections, construction, and demolition projects
- Previous experience reading plans and civil drawings
- Proficiency with the Municipal Code of Chicago Title 10 and CDOT Rules and Regulations
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago in an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
City of Chicago
Brandon Johnson, Mayor
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59pm CDT on 10/18/2023
BU: 54Salary: $64,728