FIELD PAYROLL AUDITOR
DEPARTMENT OF STREETS & SANITATION
Number of Positions: 1
Starting Salary: $55,596*
*NOTE: This title is on a step schedule and the salary range for the grade V-12 schedule is $55,596 – $93,624. New hires will start at the first step of $55,596 annually. The starting salary is non-negotiable.
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF NORTH AMERICA LOCAL 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT 54).
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
1. Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION.
Under general supervision, audits, and processes payrolls for field staff to audit timekeeping and payroll practices; and performs related duties as required
- Receives and audits time rolls to determine validity and accuracy of time recorded
- Updates the Chicago Automated Time and Attendance (CATA) system with timekeeping and payroll codes to ensure employees’ time records are accurate (e.g., regular and overtime hours worked, vacation, etc.)
- Audits manual time records to ensure hours reflected in CATA are accurate
- Resolves discrepancies on time rolls and authorizes payment
- Calculates time earned and pro-rated time for vacation purposes
- Instructs field staff on proper timekeeping procedures
- Serves as liaison with the Comptroller’s Office regarding new or modified timekeeping processes and policies
- Keeps field staff apprised of overtime pay policies for union employees
- Maintains records of payroll deductions, employee benefits, insurance, accrued leave, and personal information
- Receives, reviews for accuracy and sorts pay checks for distribution to appropriate field locations
- Responds to employee inquiries regarding pay scales and overtime policies
- Sorts and distributes payroll checks
- Responds to requests for employment verifications and generates missing wage reports, as required
- Explains payroll policies and procedures to employees in person and over the phone and clarifies discrepancies
Additional duties may be required for this position.
LOCATION: Department of Streets & Sanitation
121 North LaSalle, Room 1107
HOURS: Monday – Friday; 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE.
Two years of timekeeping and payroll preparation experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
Disclaimer – “Accredited” means any nationally or regionally accredited college, university, or law school where the applicant is enrolled in or has completed an Associates, Bachelors, Masters, or Juris Doctorate degree program.
NOTE: You must provide your transcripts or diploma at time of processing, if applicable.
• timekeeping and payroll policies and procedures
• report preparation methods, practices, and procedures
• basic arithmetic computations
• Knowledge of applicable City and department policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
• Proficient with all Microsoft Office and Teams software
• ACTIVE LEARNING – Understand the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making
• ACTIVE LISTENING – Give full attention to what other people are saying, take time to understand the points being made, ask questions as appropriate, and not interrupt at inappropriate times
• Standard office equipment (e.g., Computers, telephone, printer, photocopier, fax machine, calculator)
This position requires applicants to complete an interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral interview, will be selected for hire.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Previous work experience reviewing documents for accuracy
- Previous work experience copying, sorting, and filing documents
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
Candidates will be contacted via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to monitor their emails regularly upon application.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59 pm CDT Friday, May 26, 2023.
BU: 54 Salary: $55,596.00 Pay Basis:Yearly