Airport Operations Supervisor I, V14 – $66,972.00-$112,668.00
Chicago Department of Aviation
Number of Positions: 9
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF N.A., LOCAL 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT #54).
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
1. Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Under general supervision, inspects airfield and airside facilities for overall operational safety, ensuring compliance with operational safety and security standards relating to airport operations under 14 CFR Part 139 administered by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and performs related duties as required.
- Visually inspect the condition and maintenance of airfield facilities and surrounding perimeter (e.g., runways, taxiways, ramps, safety areas) to ensure surfaces are in good physical condition and free of safety hazards, obstructions, and debris.
- Request emergency repairs and monitor work crews on the airfield performing work such as pavement repairs (e.g., potholes), removal of debris and other safety hazards from airfield, and the repair of airfield lighting and signage equipment.
- Prepare documentation and reports of airfield inspections, findings and irregularities and maintain daily log of activities / operations logs.
- Issue and cancel Notice to Air Missions (NOTAMS) to provide current information on aviation and airfield conditions including the opening and closing of runways to FAA air traffic control.
- Monitor weather service reports, check surface conditions and temperatures, and advise city personnel, contractors and other aviation personnel of weather conditions.
- Assist senior level Airport Operations Supervisors II in implementing procedures to control access and movement of personnel on the airfield, closing and opening runways and other airfield areas, and approving proper placement of barricades.
- Act as a liaison to the FAA, airport administration and the airport airfield operations section, monitoring and directing the reporting and dissemination of information relating to construction work, emergency situations and other incidents affecting aircraft movement and field conditions.
- Assist in providing appropriate level of response in emergency situations including monitoring responders, taking actions to ensure operational integrity of the airfield, and maintaining communications with airport management and the airport airfield operations section.
- Respond to inquiries regarding the status of airfield facilities and maintenance issues.
- Coordinate snow removal operations on the airfield and conduct runway and taxiway assessments after cleaning procedures.
- Take appropriate action to clear aircraft operating areas and airfield of wildlife hazards.
Additional duties may be required for this position.
Location: Chicago Department of Aviation
O’Hare International Airport and Midway International Airport
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
MINIMUM QUALFICATIONS: Two years of airfield operations work experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required. Must obtain airfield certification within six months of hire.
Work environment requires the ability to operate an SUV and/or pickup truck and requires the ability to climb two flights of stairs through a narrow passageway. Some lifting (up to 25 pounds) is required.
NOTE: This position requires the selected incumbent to be available nights, weekends, and holidays based on operational needs. In addition, outside work/inspection is required with possible exposure to fumes, dust, noise, and work in all weather conditions.
NOTE: The candidates selected for hire must pass an airport background check and a Security Threat Assessment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- applicable federal (e.g., FAA), state, and local laws, regulations, and guidelines
- airport operations methods, practices, and procedures
- airfield inspection and maintenance methods, practices, and procedures
- airport emergency procedures
- supervisory methods, practices, and procedures
- applicable City and department policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
SELECTION REQUIREMENTS: This position requires applicants to complete an interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Proficiency with the Federal Aviation Regulation Part 139 Airport Certification.
- Work experience performing airfield operations or in the aviation industry at a commercial airport.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Aviation related degree.
- Proficiency with MS Office software.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
City of Chicago Department of Human Resources
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59 pm CDT on April 28, 2023