GENERAL LABORER – DSS Job Number: 379594
GENERAL LABORER (Seasonal)
DEPARTMENT OF STREETS & SANITATION
Number of Positions: 100 (additional vacancies per budget approval)
Starting Salary: $21.73
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF NORTH AMERICA LOCAL 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT 54).
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
1. Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
NOTE: Eligible bid applicants may also be used to fill future vacancies in the Chicago Department of Aviation with a starting rate of $21.73.
Under immediate supervision, performs manual work of a physical nature in the performance of various work operations and is assigned to all bureaus and sections within the Department of Streets and Sanitation, including the Bureau of Rodent Control, Sanitation and Street Operations; and performs related duties as required.
Class is a multi – rate title; rate of pay to individual positions is dependent on specific duties assigned and performed
- Manually hang temporary NO PARKING signs for the Street Sweeping Program
- Load refuse carts by pushing/ wheeling carts to the back of refuse truck, positioning carts and operating hydraulic lever to lift, dump and compact the refuse into the truck’s hopper
- Remove debris and bulk items to clean vacant lots, viaducts and homes under court ordered cleaning, shoveling, sweeping, and picking up garbage and loading onto trucks for removal
- Bait rat burrows with rodenticides, carrying buckets of rodenticide pellets and placing them directly into burrow, closing off burrow entrance and re-baiting as needed
- Clean and clear vacant lots and viaducts of debris, using shovels, picks, rakes and brooms to pick up and bag garbage and debris and load onto dump trucks
- Mounts quick hitch plows to refuse trucks, shovels sand to fill sandbags and manually spreads sand; breaks up salt to ensure proper spreading; loads, unloads and sets up barricades
Additional duties may be required for this position.
Location: Various locations
Days: Will vary
Hours: Various shifts
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE.
One year of physical or manual laborer related experience that requires strength for heavy lifting, loading, unloading, bending, and dumping refuse and various other materials
Licensure, Certification, or Other Qualifications
A General Laborer in the Department of Streets & Sanitation requires a valid State of Illinois driver’s license.
Must be able to Lift and Carry 75 to 100 lbs to waist level.
NOTE: You must provide your valid U.S. driver’s license at time of processing.
- Heavy lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling (up to 100 lbs.) is required
- Ability to walk and stand for extended or continuous periods of time
- Ability to quickly bend, stretch, twist, or reach out with one’s body, arms, and/or legs
- Ability to operate applicable hand tools, power tools, and equipment
- Ability to climb in/out of refuse truck
- Exposure to outdoor weather conditions
- Exposure to loud noise, fumes or dust, oily or wet environment
- Exposure to insects and rodents
- Powered and manual cleaning equipment (e.g., power washers, leaf blowers, brooms)
Selection Requirements for non-bidders:
This position requires candidates to complete pre-employment screening which includes passing a physical and drug test, clearing City of Chicago indebtedness and background check. Candidates who successfully passes all pre-employment screening will be hired in lottery order.
Selection Requirement for bidders:
This position requires bidders to complete pre-employment screening which includes passing a physical and drug test. Bidders who successfully pass all pre-employment screening will be hired in seniority order.
All candidates will be contacted via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to monitor their emails regularly upon application.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago in an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59pm CDT on Tuesday, March 28, 2023.