Department of Assets, Information and Services
Division of Security Services
Number of Positions: 2
These positions are open to the public and all current City employees covered under the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the Laborers International Union of North America, Local 1001, Bargaining Unit 54. Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid.
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
1. Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
The City of Chicago is seeking Supervising Watchmen to perform a combination of supervisory and administrative duties, working in the field or in the office overseeing staff and performing duties relating to maintaining the security and safety of facilities managed by the Department of Assets, Information and Services.
· Monitors security alarm or camera/video systems from a central location (i.e., Incident Center at OEMC), responding to activated security alarms or viewing security cameras installed at facilities throughout the City (i.e., auto pounds, library branches)
· Notifies personnel including 911-Police and Supervising Watchman in the field of activated alarms for investigation of unauthorized entry and deactivation of alarms
· Prepares weekly work schedules and monitors daily attendance to ensure proper staffing and adequate security coverage of facilities
· Receives scheduled calls from Watchmen reporting in from their locations and calls from city personnel reporting security and safety incidents and initiates appropriate level of response
· Conducts inspection rounds to ensure Watchman are at assigned locations, in uniform and following security procedures to protect premises from unauthorized entry and vandalism
· Drives a city vehicle to scheduled field sites not equipped with alarm or security camera systems and performs security checks including checking that exterior lighting is in working order and no forced entry
· Prepares field reports documenting inspections, safety or security violations or other incidents during assigned shift; positions assigned to desk duty data enter information from reports into database and generate reports
· Addresses and resolves employee performance issues; initiates disciplinary actions as required; reviews injury on duty forms; and approves time off and edit sheets
· Activates and programs access key cards with approved entrance to specific facilities; performs routine maintenance on alarm and camera systems; maintains police report files and performs related administrative duties in the office to support security operations
Additional duties may be required for this position
Location: 1869 West Pershing Road
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
- Two years of work experience in performing security or watchman duties
- A valid State of Illinois Driver’s License is required
This position requires applicants to successfully pass a written test / skills assessment and complete an interview. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been analyzed and compiled. The interviewed candidate(s) receiving a passing score on the test and possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Candidates possessing security certifications
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago in an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
Applications for this position will be accepted from February 10, 2023, until 11:59 p.m. on February 24, 2023