Laborer – Seasonal
Department of Transportation
Number of Positions: 11 (Seasonal)
This position is open to the public and all current city employees covered under the City’s Collective Bargaining Agreement with the COUNTY, MUNICIPAL SUPERVISORS and FOREMAN – Local 1001 (BU 54) Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid.
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
1. Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Under immediate supervision, performs unskilled, physically demanding labor at new construction and repair and maintenance work sites, in the public way or at city facilities, and performs related duties as required.
Positions are allocated primarily to the Department of Transportation, assignments including the Bureau of Electricity, In-House Construction and Sign Shop, and to the Department of Fleet and Facility Management
- Loads and unloads trucks carrying a variety of equipment, power tools and construction materials including streetlight and traffic signal heads, concrete and cement bags, PVC and steel pipe, and electrical wire
- Digs and backfills trenches, holes, pole foundations and sidewalk/street excavations
- Sets braces and shoring equipment and drives sheeting to set up retention walls
- Operates pneumatic power and hand tools (e.g., jack hammers, concrete saws, shovels, picks, sledge hammers and grinding equipment) in the performance of general labor work and the placement and removal of street markings
- Assists in the installation of concrete forms, conduit and other materials, and mixes and pours concrete in specified amounts
- Sets up barricades, traffic safety cones and steel street plates, and uses hand signals and flags to slow or control traffic around work sites
- Cleans up work sites and city facilities at the completion of jobs, loading and removing debris and sweeping and clearing areas and performs light landscaping (e.g., cuts grass, removes weeds) duties to restore areas
- Spreads salt and operates snow blowers and uses shovels to remove and clean snow and ice from walkways and other areas around facilities
- Operates hand jacks and forklifts to lift, move, store and distribute large and heavy construction materials maintained at work sites and in central warehouses or supply yards
- Tracks the delivery and distribution of materials and tools at a warehouse or supply yard
- Assists skilled trades workers by readying and supplying needed tools and materials and maintaining cleaning equipment in good working condition
- Moves furniture and office equipment to assist trades crews working on maintenance and rehabbing projects for city offices and facilities
- May prepare daily work activity reports
- Works on crews with seasonal Painters, assisting in the removal and placement of street markings on city streets and Lake Shore Drive. Operates small grinding equipment to remove street markings
Additional duties may be required for this position.
Location: 2451 S. Ashland
Days: Monday – Friday
Hours: 7:00am – 3:30pm
THIS POSITION IS SEASONAL
- One year of work experience as a general laborer on a construction work site
Licensure, Certification, or Other Qualifications
- Assignments involving the operation of a forklift will require positions to be trained and evaluated by the employer prior to the assignment, as required under OSHA standards administered by the Illinois Department of Labor (IDOL)
Applicants who successfully apply for the position, meet the minimum qualifications, and possess the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be hired in seniority or lottery/random order.
New hires will be sent to the Chicagoland Laborers Training and Apprentice Center for a one-week initial job training course. You must successfully complete the training course to remain employed by the Department of Transportation.
Salary: *Per Hours Worked*
1040 Hours worked $32.13/Hourly
2080 Hours worked $41.31/Hourly
Completion of all required hours $45.90
Application Period: 12/28/22 to 01/11/2023
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59 pm CDT on 01/11/2023