Airport Maintenance Foreman
Department of Aviation
Number of Positions: 1
This posting will be used to create an eligibility list to fill 2022-2023 vacancies.
This position is covered under the City’s Collective Bargaining Agreement with The Laborers International Union of North America, Locals 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT #54). Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid.
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
1. Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
- Supervise laborers performing grounds keeping, weed spraying, refuse collection, and general maintenance duties
- Assigns, coordinates, and monitors exterior cleaning and pick up debris of sidewalks, grass areas, fence lines, parking lots, roadways and curb fronts at terminals and outlying buildings
- Reviews work orders requesting laborer services, prioritizes work based on operational needs and makes assignments to staff of Laborers
- Schedules work routes and assigns staff to collect refuse and bulk garbage from the exterior of all terminals and security posts, and from exterior and interior of support facilities (i.e. airport maintenance complex (AMC), H&R plant and warehouse)
- Supervises and monitors staff engaged in snow and ice removal from sidewalks, curbs and exterior of terminals and facilities and the spreading of salt to ensure the safety of passengers, visitors and staff
- Directs ground maintenance activities including grass cutting, weed trimming, weed spraying and tree and shrub rimming/cutting activities around terminals and airport areas
- Assigns work crews to clean up areas of vehicle accidents or other types of accidents/ emergencies; coordinates with airfield operations personnel to obtain clearance for Laborers to access airfield to remove debris and objects as required
- Assigns staff to loads and unload supply trucks with supplies, equipment and materials for delivery to various facilities and storerooms throughout the airport
- Oversees staff performing laborer duties inside terminal areas including disposing of bulk items, cleaning areas of refuse and debris, moving furniture and office equipment, and setting up and removing platforms, tables, chairs and decorations for special events/holidays
- Implements safety work procedures and practices to minimize employee accidents and to promote a safe work environment; prepares accident and injury reports
- Approves time off requests; conducts performance evaluations; and initiates and enforces disciplinary actions; informs General Foreman of performance or operational problems
- Prepares productivity and attendance and related work reports
Additional duties may be required for this position.
Location: O’Hare International Airport
Education, Training, and Experience
- Two years of work experience in grounds and building maintenance work for a large facility or commercial building.
Licensure, Certification, or Other Qualifications
- A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required
- Must pass a Ground Motor Vehicle Operating Regulation Basic Driving test administered by the Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) within six months of hire
NOTE: The candidate selected for hire must pass an airport background check and a Security Threat Assessment (STA).
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete, and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
NOTE: You must provide your transcripts or diploma, professional license, or training certificates at time of processing, if applicable. You must also provide your valid U.S. driver’s license at time of processing.
This position requires applicants to successfully PASS a written test / skills assessment test IN ORDER TO BE interviewed. The cut score of the test is subject to change based on standard statistical analysis of test results. The interviewed Bidders who possess the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected by SENIORITY order and according to the CBA rules.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Previous experience as a Laborer Foreman
- At least 2 years of Laborer work experience
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City of Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59 pm CDT on 12/30/2022