FIELD PAYROLL AUDITOR
Office of Public Safety
Number of Positions: 1
This position is open to the public and all current city employees covered under the City’s Collective Bargaining Agreement with COUNTY, MUNICIPAL EMPLOYEES’, SUPERVISORS’ AND FOREMEN’S UNION LOCAL 1001 – (BU 54). Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid.
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
1. Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Under general supervision, audits and processes payroll for field staff and performs related duties as assigned.
- Receives and audits timerolls submitted from field offices to determine validity and accuracy of time recorded.
- Resolves discrepancies on timerolls and authorizes payment.
- Conducts field visits to review timekeeping practices.
- Instructs field staff on proper timekeeping procedures.
- Prepares and codes dummy payrolls for processing and submits to the Data Center for processing.
- Keeps field staff apprised of overtime pay policies for union employees.
- Maintains records on payroll deductions, employee benefits, insurance, accrued leave and personal information.
- Receives, reviews for accuracy and sorts pay checks for distribution to appropriate field locations.
- Responds to employee inquiries regarding pay scales and overtime policies.
- Prepares personnel expense reports.
- Prepares quarterly reports.
Additional duties may be required for this position.
Location: 3510 S. Michigan Avenue, Chicago
Days: Monday thru Friday
Hours: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
*NOTE: This title is on a step schedule and the salary range for the grade V-12 schedule is $55,596 – $93,624. New hires will start at the first step of $55,596 annually. The starting salary is non-negotiable.
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
Two years of progressively responsible timekeeping and payroll preparation experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Previous work experience with timekeeping or payroll preparation
- Previous work experience maintaining manual and computerized timekeeping records and preparing and processing payrolls
- Previous work experience reviewing documents for accuracy
- Previous work experience copying, sorting, and filing documents
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
This position requires applicants to complete an interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected. The interviewed bidders possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected in seniority order according to the collective bargaining agreement.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59 pm CDT on 12/26/2022.