TRAINING AGENT I – PER AGREEMENT
DEPARTMENT OF STREETS & SANITATION
Number of Positions: 1
Starting Salary: $44.59
This position is covered under the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the County, Municipal and Foreman Local 1001. (BARGAINING UNIT 54). Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid on this position.
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
1. Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Under supervision, provides training to supervisors and tree trimmers in the proper planting and maintenance of trees and the use and operation of power tools and equipment required in the performance of various work operations, and performs related duties as required
• Provides classroom training and field instruction to personnel on safe and proper performance of physical activities including tree planting, maintenance, and removal, and the moving of heavy materials and equipment
• Researches subject area and prepare training materials for use in training sessions
• Documents training activities and prepares ISA continuing education unit post-approval request forms with required supporting information.
• Instructs personnel on departmental work procedures and standards for the performance of specific work operations
• Provides training on safety procedures in the use and operation of power tools and equipment and safe work practices
• Demonstrates the proper use of power tools, equipment, aerial towers and chippers for the successful performance of job duties
• Observes crews in the field to assess their performance and adherence to safety procedures and requirements
• Maintains training records and prepares reports of training activities
• Reviews accident reports to determine need for additional training
• Coordinates training sessions with vendors on the use of new power tools and equipment, as required
• Assists supervisor in holding crew accountable to safety standards
Additional duties may be required for this position
Hours: 6:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Monday – Friday
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE.
Three years of experience in the care, maintenance, trimming, and removal of trees, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
Licensure, Certification, or other qualifications
- A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required
- MUST possess ISA certification as an Arborist approved by the International Society of Arboriculture within 6 months of start date
- MUST obtain Illinois State Pesticide Applicator License within 6 months of start date
- Heavy lifting (up to 75 pounds) is required
- Forestry Aerial Tower
- Standard office equipment (e.g., telephone, printer, photocopier, fax machine, calculator)
- Computers and peripheral equipment (e.g., personal computer, computer terminals, hand-held computer, modems, scanner)
- Power tools (e.g., chain saws, stump cutter, chipper)
- Personal protective equipment (e.g., hard hat, shoes, glasses, gloves, vest, chaps)
- Ropes and related rigging tools
- Other tools related to forestry operations
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER WORK REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to demonstrate the removal of trees with the assistance of a crane
- Power tools used in tree trimming and removal, and other tools related to forestry operations
• Trees and other plant material used in landscape beautification
- Training program design, development, implementation, and evaluation
• Training methods, practices, procedures, and resources
- Applicable safety and accident prevention methods, practices, and procedures
- Educational principles, theory, methods, and practices
- Use and application of safety equipment and protective gear in specific working environments
- Knowledge of applicable City and department policies, procedures, rules, regulations, and ordinances
NOTE: You must provide your professional licenses, training certificates and/or transcripts/diplomas at time of processing, if applicable
NOTE: You must provide your valid U.S. driver’s license at time of processing.
This position requires applicants to successfully pass a skills assessment test and complete an interview. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been compiled and analyzed. Applicants who receive a passing score on the test will be selected to interview. The interviewed candidate(s) receiving a passing score on the test and possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral interview, will be selected for hire.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago in an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59pm CDT on Tuesday, October 25, 2022.
Unposting Date: Oct 25, 2022, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: $44.59 Pay Basis: Hourly