Field Service Specialist III
Department of Transportation
Number of Positions: 4
These positions are open to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the County, Municipal Supervisors and Foremen Local 1001 (Bargaining unit 54). Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid.
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
1. Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Under general supervision, performs complex traffic surveys and field inspections of construction activity affecting the public way and assists in supervising lower level staff, and performs related duties as required
- Conducts larger, more complex field inspections of construction, demolition, and excavation sites to ensure the placement of proper barricades and signs for the safety of vehicular and pedestrian traffic
- Assists lower level staff with unusual or complex surveying and inspection problems
- Assists in developing and implementing training programs for new staff
- Inspects construction staging areas to ensure compliance with relevant regulations (e.g., checking permits, confirming compliance of safety buffer zones with City ordinances
- Inspects work sites to ensure the public way is safe and clear of obstructions and issues tickets for violations observed
- Inspects the public way in response to complaints from residents, aldermanic offices, and other departments regarding traffic impediments resulting from construction activity
- Interprets applicable City codes and ordinances to contractors and complainants
- Conducts inspections in regard to pending legal action and testifies in court on violations observed
- Prepares field sketches and charts to illustrate construction, current traffic conditions, and activities to support survey data
- Confers with aldermen on the status of traffic sign requests
- Maintains daily activity reports
- Develops detour and sign plans for streets under construction, as needed
- Reviews traffic flow ordinances prepared by City Council committee for accuracy and proper language and makes corrections as necessary
- Responds to reports and conducts safety inspections of safety hazards in public ways (e.g., streets, parkways, sidewalks)
- Directs work crews in the placement of street signs
- Supervises the unit in the absence of the Field Supervisor, as required
Additional duties may be required for this position.
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
Three (3) years of work experience inspecting public way construction and demolition projects, or interpreting blueprints for public way construction and demolition projects, and/or determining street sign placement; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required.
Must have the permanent use of an automobile that is properly insured, including a clause specifically insuring the City of Chicago from accident liability
This position requires applicants to successfully pass a skills assessment test and complete an interview. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been compiled and analyzed. Applicants who receive a passing score on the test will be selected to interview. The interviewed candidate(s) receiving a passing score on the test and possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral interview and written exercise, will be selected for hire
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59 pm CDT on 08/31/2022
Unposting Date:Aug 31, 2022, 11:59:00 PM