Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT)
Division of In-House Construction
Number of Positions: 2
This position is open to the public and all current city employees covered under the City’s Collective Bargaining Agreement with the LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF N.A. LOCAL 1001 (BU#54). Only employees currently in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid.
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
1. Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Under supervision, inspects safety and accident prevention practices in the workplace, and performs related duties as required.
- Assists in developing and implementing departmental safety regulations, policies and procedures
- Inspects work areas and/or construction sites to ensure working conditions are in compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards and municipal and state safety regulations and policies
- Makes recommendations to correct observed and reported safety violations and to implements safe work practices including the use of protective gear (e.g., helmets, steel tipped shoes, safety glasses, gloves)
- Checks safety devices (e.g., fire extinguishers, alarms, first aid, emergency equipment) for proper working condition
- Ensures that safety precautions (e.g., warning signs, barricades) are posted near construction or hazardous sites
- Ensures proper procedures are followed and rescue equipment is accessible to crews working in confined spaces and during excavations
- Prepares and issues warnings, and/or letters or notification to address violations of safety policies and procedures
- Investigates accidents to determine their cause and to develop methods and procedures to prevent future occurrences
- Evaluates automotive and personal injury accident reports for evidence of cause and prepares reports on findings
- Conducts employee training sessions on safety policies and practices and arranges for product manufacturers to train employees on the proper use of safety equipment and gear
- Maintains complete and accurate records of personal injury and property accidents
- Drives to field sties to observe practices
- Reviews safety policies and practices and assists in updating departmental manuals and policies
- Attends and/or chairs safety meetings and committees
- Performs other related job duties as assigned
Additional duties may be required for this position.
NOTE: RESUMES, CERTIFICATES, VALID JOURNEYMAN CARD, AND DRIVER’S LICENSE MUST BE SUBMITTED AT TIME OF APPLICATION WHERE APPLICABLE.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, OR OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required
- Exposure to outdoor weather conditions
- Exposure to loud noise
- Exposure to hazardous conditions (e.g., construction sites, heavy machinery)
- Cameras and related photography equipment
- Safety Vest
- Some lifting (up to 25 pounds) is required
- Ability to walk and stand for extended or continuous periods of time
- Ability to work various hours/shifts
Location: 1501 W. Pershing, Chicago, IL 60609
Hours: 7:00 am to 3:30 pm
Application Period: 7-7-22 to 7-21-22
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
- Two years of experience in accident prevention and safety inspection work; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment and specific job duties. (IF you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered). If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete, and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
Educational & Employment Verification:
Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diploma must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
This position requires applicants to successfully pass a written job knowledge exam and complete an interview. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been analyzed and compiled. Candidates who pass the exam will be selected to interview. The interviewed bidders receiving a passing score on the exam and possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected in seniority order according to the collective bargaining agreement.
Preference will be given to external candidates possessing the following:
- Previous work experience in the knowledge of safety and code standards specific to construction, including OSHA standards
- Certified Safety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist, and/or hold an Associate Safety Professional certification
- Previous knowledge of safety equipment and maintenance procedures to ensure safe working conditions for employees
- OSHA 10/30-hour training certification
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel and Outlook
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
City of Chicago Department of Human Resources
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59 pm C.D.T. on 7-21-22