DISPATCHER – ARBORIST
DEPARTMENT OF STREETS & SANITATION
Bureau of Forestry
Number of Positions: 1
Starting Salary: $45.90
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF NORTH AMERICA LOCAL 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT 54).
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
1. Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Under general supervision, works in the Department of Streets and Sanitation’s Bureau of Forestry, assigning staff, performing a variety of dispatch/communications and administrative activities to support the work functions of Forestry work crews in the field, and performs related duties as required
- Relays information to staff in the field and to callers on the cultivation, management, health and safety of a wide variety of tree species.
- Interacts with work crews on methods to be used in the care and maintenance for various types of tree species
- Prepares daily route sheets, rotating crews through wards in district based on review of daily reports from central office
- Accesses 311-CSR system to generate daily worksheets for crews with assignment and location of trees to be trimmed/removed
- Takes calls from department personnel, aldermanic offices and other city departments reporting problems with trees in the district; enters data into the 311-CSR system to create service requests
- Receives calls and advises from crews reporting issues trees or equipment and jobs completed; accesses 311-CSR system to update records and close out service requests
- Maintains contact with crews in the field and relays information on work priorities or emergency requests for tree planting trimming/removals; receives and relays messages between field and central office
- Reviews for completeness and accuracy daily worksheets submitted by work crews detailing work completed, size of crew and hours worked, equipment used during work shifts
- Uses Excel to maintain and update work records, track data and prepare productivity reports
- Maintain contact with foremen of work crews to ensure work is progressing and arrange for additional resources as needed, and relay directives between central office and the field
- Access records on various systems (e.g., in-house projects system, 311-CSR) to maintain project records, update project and work schedules and close out completed projects
- Maintains and tracks data of section’s work accomplishments (e.g., trees planted/ trimmed/removed, tree stump removed) and prepares productivity reports
Additional duties may be required for this position.
LOCATION: 2352 S. Ashland
DAYS OFF: Varies
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE.
One year of experience working in a field or office position as a certified Arborist. Must be a Certified Arborist.
NOTE: You must provide your Arborist License or Certification at the time of processing.
This position requires applicants to successfully pass skills assessment tests and complete an interview. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been compiled and analyzed. Applicants who receive a passing score on the test will be selected to interview. The interviewed candidate(s) receiving a passing score on the test and possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral interview, will be selected for hire.
This position requires external candidates to successfully clear City of Chicago indebtedness and clear background check before hire.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Previous work experience in tree trimming and removal of municipal trees
- Previous work experience in dispatching work crews
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Software
- Proficiency in creating and generating Oracle-based reports
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59 pm CDT on Monday, April 4, 2022.