*Original posting 9/22/21 to 10/6/21 is OBSOLETE AND YOU MUST REAPPLY TO THIS NEW POSTING TO BE CONSIDERED*
Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT)
Division of Administration
Number of Positions: 1
This position is open to the public and all current city employees covered under the City’s Collective Bargaining Agreement with COUNTY, MUNICIPAL SUPERVISORS AND FOREMAN LOCAL 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT 54).
Only employees currently in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid.
BID INSTRUCTIONS: Apply on the bid site: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/103/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en AND
1. Check the box on your profile titled “Currently employed by the City of Chicago”
2. Enter your employee ID (located on your pay stub labeled ‘payee/employee number’)
3. Select your correct bargaining unit
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Under general supervision, assigns, monitors and reviews timekeeping and payroll procedures and practices of a large City department and performs related duties are required.
- Performs timekeeping and payroll functions, maintaining and updating automated and manual timekeeping records and processing payrolls
- Monitors employee CATA (Chicago Automated Time and Attendance) records by checking entries of employee’s time worked against time in and time out swipes and edit forms to ensure complete and accurate time records
- Reviews edits on the CATA system made by field editors to ensure proper coding and updating of records for hours not worked, vacation time used, acting up pay adjustments and missed swipes
- Updates CATA records to reflect time off actions including furloughs, suspensions and sick time, and overtime hours worked based on edit forms and time off requests submitted by field editors
- Provides training and guidance to field editors on navigating the CATA system and the proper editing and coding of time records in compliance with City and union bargaining unit pay requirements
- Reviews payroll registers for accuracy against CATA records and ensures that payroll actions including pay rate changes and deductions are properly recorded
- Applies established procedures and makes appropriate calculations to adjust payrolls and resolves errors and discrepancies in employees’ paychecks
- Responds to payroll inquiries from employees regarding hours paid, deductions, vacation and time off balances
- Reviews time and payroll records and makes payroll adjustments to resolve errors and discrepancies
- Provides orientation to new employees on use of CATA system and department’s time and attendance rules
- Explains and interprets union contract provisions relating to pay and overtime rates and city policies on time off including docks, suspensions and furloughs
- Generates various reports using the CATA system
- Advises supervisors of noted irregularities, patterns of missed swipes or suspected misuse of the CATA system by employees
Additional duties may be required for this position.
Location: 2 N. Lasalle, Suite 1050
Chicago, IL 60602
Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
*Hours of work may change and are assigned at department’s discretion depending on the needs of the business*.
Salary: minimum and maximum salaries for the V12 schedule range from ($54,504 – $91,788).
Please note that this title is on a step schedule and new hires will start at the first step of $54,504.00/Annually; the starting salary is non-negotiable.
Application Period: 12-6-21 to 12-20-21
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
Two years of timekeeping and/or payroll preparation experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment and specific job duties. (IF you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered). If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete, and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
Educational & Employment Verification:
Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diploma must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
This position requires applicants to complete an interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected. The interviewed bidders possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected in seniority order according to the collective bargaining agreement.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Previous experience in timekeeping/payroll preparation
- Previous experience in training and instructing staff
- Previous experience working with Oracle based payroll software
- Previous experience in CATA/CHIPPS
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
City of Chicago Department of Human Resources
Lori Lightfoot, Mayor Christopher Owen, Commissioner
Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59 pm C.D.T. on 12-20-21
BU: 54 Salary: $54,504.00 Pay Basis: Yearly