AIRPORT OPERATIONS SUPVSR I
Job Number: 346473
AIRPORT OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR I
CHICAGO DEPARTMENT OF AVIATION
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST APPLY ON THE BID ONLY SITE AT: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
(Once the website opens, scroll down and click on the button titled “Bid Opportunities.”)
IN ADDITION, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT. YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.”
(NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO OBTAIN YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION.
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF N.A., LOCAL 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT #54).
Under general supervision, inspects airfield and airside facilities for overall operational safety, ensuring compliance with operational safety and security standards relating to airport operations under 14 CFR Part 139 administered by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and performs related duties as required.
NUMBER OF VACANCIES: 7
- Visually inspect the condition and maintenance of airfield facilities and surrounding perimeter (e.g., runways, taxiways, ramps, safety areas) to ensure surfaces are free of safety hazards, obstructions and debris and in good physical condition;
- Request emergency repairs and monitor work crews on the airfield performing work such as pavement repairs (e.g. potholes), removal of debris and other safety hazards from airfield, and the repair of airfield lighting and signage equipment;
- Prepare documentation and reports of airfield inspections, findings and irregularities and maintain daily log of activities / operations logs;
- Issue and cancel Notice to Airman (NOTAMS) to provide current information on aviation and airfield conditions including the opening and closing of runways to FAA air traffic control;
- Monitor weather service reports, check surface conditions and temperatures and advise city personnel, contractors and other aviation personnel of weather conditions;
- Assist senior level Airport Operations Supervisors II in implementing procedures to control access and movement of personnel on the airfield, closing and opening runways and other airfield areas, and approving proper placement of barricades;
- Act as a liaison to the FAA, airport administration and the operations tower, monitoring and directing the reporting and dissemination of information relating to construction work, emergency situations and other incidents affecting aircraft movement and field conditions;
- Assist in providing appropriate level of response in emergency situations including monitoring responders, taking actions to ensure operational integrity of airfield and maintaining communications with airport management and the operations tower;
- Respond to inquiries regarding the status of airfield facilities and maintenance issues;
- Coordinate snow removal operations on the airfield and conduct runway and taxiway assessments after cleaning procedures;
- Take appropriate action to clear aircraft operating areas and airfield of wildlife hazards;
- And, other job related duties as assigned
Location: Chicago Department of Aviation O’Hare International Airport and Midway International Airport
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Two years of airfield operations work experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required. Must obtain airfield certification within six months of hire.
Work environment requires the ability to operate an SUV and truck and requires the ability to climb two flights of stairs through a narrow passageway. Some lifting (up to 25 pounds) is required.
NOTE: This position requires the selected incumbent to be available nights, weekends, and holidays based on operational needs. In addition, outside work/inspection is required with possible exposure to fumes, dust, noise, and work in all weather conditions.
NOTE: The candidates selected for hire must pass an airport background check and a Security Threat Assessment.
Education & Employment Verification: Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diploma must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- applicable federal (e.g., FAA), state, and local laws, regulations, and guidelines
- airport operations methods, practices, and procedures
- airfield inspection and maintenance methods, practices, and procedures
- airport emergency procedures
- supervisory methods, practices, and procedures
- applicable City and department policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume field.
NOTE: You must provide your transcripts or diploma, professional license, or training certificates at time of processing, if applicable. You must also provide your valid U.S. driver’s license at time of processing of processing.
This position requires applicants to complete an interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Proficiency with the Federal Aviation Regulation Part 139 Certification of Airport.
- Work experience performing airfield operations or in the aviation industry at a commercial airport.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Aviation related degree.
- Proficiency with MS Office software.
VETERANS PREFERENCE NOTE: The City of Chicago offers Veterans Preference to both current, active military personnel AND military personnel who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and have received an honorable or general discharge. Eligible candidates must have at least six months of active duty documented. In order to receive the veterans preference, candidates need to indicate whether or not they are a veteran by answering “yes” or “no” to the question on the online application that asks, “Are you currently serving on active duty for at least six months in the Armed Forces of the United States OR have you served in the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty for at least six months and received an honorable or general discharge?” In addition, you must attach documentation to verify your military service. For veterans, you must attach a copy of your DD214 to your online application which includes character of service status OR a letter from the United States Veterans Administration on official stationary stating dates of service and character of service. For active military personnel, you must attach a letter from your Commanding Officer on official stationary verifying your active duty, length of service, and character of service in the Armed Forces of the United States AND a copy of your military ID to your online application. Failure to answer the question and attach the required documentation will result in you not being considered for the Veterans Preference.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applications will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City of Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at 312-744-4976 (voice) or 312-744-5035. (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation request.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
Please note, all positions with the City of Chicago close promptly at 11:59pm C.D.T. Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59p.m. CDT on May 28, 2021. No exceptions will be made.
Unposting Date : May 28, 2021, 11:59:00 PM
BU: 54Salary: $65,664.00 – $110,460.00