Department of Transportation
|ASPHALT FOREMAN Job Number: 348243|
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the County, Municipal Supervisors and Foreman-Local 1001 (Bargaining Unit 54).
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST APPLY ON THE BID ONLY SITE AT: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
(Once the website opens, scroll down and click on the button titled “Bid Opportunities.”)
IN ADDITION, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT. YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.” (NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO OBTAIN YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAININGUNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Number of Positions: 10
Under general supervision, functions as a working supervisor/crew leader, supervising asphalt laborers and equipment operators performing work activities relating to the spreading, finishing and compacting of asphalt for the resurfacing and repair of City residential streets and alleys
- Supervises an assigned work crew performing semiskilled asphalt laborer duties including raking, smoothing and tamping relating to the pavement, re-surfacing and repair of streets and alleys using hot asphalt materials
- Supervise an assigned crew filling potholes and repairing street surfaces using high performance/cold patch asphalt during the winter months
- Supervises grinding and other crews operating asphalt equipment, including Hoisting Engineers operating grinders, pavers and rollers
- Receive and prioritize daily work assignments and makes crew work assignments
- Observe work in progress and provides guidance and direction on work procedures and techniques to asphalt laborers
- Ensure the timely delivery of hot asphalt from contracted plant to work sites
- Monitor supply of asphalt and requisitions additional supplies needed to complete the job
- Complete work activity sheets to report jobs completed, providing information on material used, location of work site, heavy equipment used and crew work assignments
- Informs General Foreman of performance or operational problems at work site
- Ensures safe work procedures and safe work practices are followed at work sites
- Ensures barricades and other safety equipment are set up and in place while work is in progress
- Prepares accident and injury reports
- Attends pre-disciplinary hearings for work crew members
- May drive a city vehicle to work sites
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Location: 1501 W. Pershing Rd
Days: Monday – Friday
Hours: 7:00 am – 3:30 pm
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
Two years of work experience in the paving and repair of street surfaces using asphalt materials and/or related asphalt equipment
A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required.
Education & Employment Verification: Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it related to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diplomas must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
NOTE: You must also provide your valid U.S. driver’s license at time of processing.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
This position requires candidates to pass both a written job knowledge exam and a interview. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been compiled and analyzed. Candidates who pass the written test will be selected to interview. Candidates will be hired in seniority order by time in title as defined by the collective bargaining agreement.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City of Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process,please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at 312-744-4976 (voice) or 312-744-5035 (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
Please note, all positions with the City of Chicago close promptly at C.S.T. Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59pm CST on May 14, 2021. No exceptions will be made.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer
Unposting Date : May 14, 2021, 11:59:00 PM
BU: 54Salary: $45.30 Hourly |