DISTRICT CLERK – ASPHALT
Job Number: 324513
Department of Transportation
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the County, Municipal Supervisors and Foremen Local 1001 (Bargaining unit 54)
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST APPLY ON THE BID ONLY SITEAT: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
(Once the website opens, scroll down and click on the button titled “Bid Opportunities.”)
IN ADDITION, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT. YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.” (NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO OBTAIN YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION.
Number of Positions: 4
Under supervision, perform a range of clerical, timekeeping and customer service duties to support an organization’s (e.g., district or central office, bureau) work operations, and perform related duties as required
- Monitors automated timekeeping records to ensure proper recording of employee swipes; identifies incomplete time records and requests edit sheets; and data enters information from approved edit and time off forms to edit CATA records
- Reviews payroll registers to ensure records accurately reflect time worked and time off; sorts and distributes payroll checks; responds to employee inquiries on hours paid, vacation balances and related payroll/timekeeping inquiries
- Generates various timekeeping reports from CATA including absenteeism, overtime and time off reports as requested by management
- Answers phones and responds to inquiries from the general public, aldermanic offices and city personnel, providing information on the status of service requests, and routing calls
- Provides customer service, receiving and processing requests for services, scheduling appointments, taking complaints, and forwarding emergency service requests to supervisors
- Prepares basic reports and maintains office files; gathers data, organizes, distributes, mails and files a variety of work records including overtime and personnel forms, work activity sheets, productivity reports, and other work documents
- Performs data entry to maintain and update automated inventory control records, entering data from various source documents including supply and material requisitions and work orders
- Positions in the Department of Transportation’s Central Asphalt OR Concrete Offices review crew activity and job work sheets for accuracy and completeness; check and verify hours worked by crew members, load or material ticket information, and the accuracy of activity codes, trucks and equipment listed
- Enter data from construction crews activity sheets into the city information or data systems
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Location: 1501 W. Pershing
Hours:: 7:00 am – 3:30 pm
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
- Two years of combined work experience performing clerical, customer service, inventory control, timekeeping or personal computer work.
Disclaimer – “Accredited” means any nationally or regionally accredited college, university, or law school where the applicant is enrolled in or has completed an Associates, Bachelors, Masters, or Juris Doctorate degree program
Education & Employment Verification: Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diploma must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
position requires applicants to complete a written test / skills assessment. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been analyzed and compiled. Applicants who receive a passing score on the test will be hired in seniority or lottery/random order.
Application Instructions: Interested applicants should apply at the City of Chicago’s application website: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
VETERANS PREFERENCE NOTE: The City of Chicago offers Veterans Preference to both current, active military personnel AND military personnel who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and have received an honorable or general discharge. Eligible candidates must have at least six months of active duty documented. In order to receive the veterans preference, candidates need to indicate whether or not they are a veteran by answering “yes” or “no” to the question on the online application that asks, “Are you currently serving on active duty for at least six months in the Armed Forces of the United States OR have you served in the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty for at least six months and received an honorable or general discharge?” In addition, you must attach documentation to verify your military service. For veterans, you must attach a copy of your DD214 (Member Copy-4) to your online application which includes character of service status OR a letter from the United States Veterans Administration on official stationary stating dates of service and character of service. For active military personnel, you must attach a letter from your Commanding Officer on official stationary verifying your active duty, length of service, and character of service in the Armed Forces of the United States AND a copy of your military ID to your online application. Failure to answer the question and attach the required documentation will result in you not being considered for the Veterans Preference.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at 312-744-4976 (voice) or 312-744-5035 (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation.
Please note, all positions with the City of Chicago close promptly at C.S.T. Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59pm CST on August 29, 2019. No exceptions will be made.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer
City of Chicago Department of Human Resources
Lori E. Lightfoot, Mayor Soo Choi, Commissioner
Unposting Date: Aug 29, 2019, 9:59:00 PM