Apply on line now…..
FRM OF LABORER – CONCRETE
Department of Transportation
This position is covered under the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the County, Municipal Supervisors and Foreman-Local 1001 (Bargaining Unit 54). Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid on this position.
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT.
YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.”
(NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO OBTAIN YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Number of Positions: 3
Under general supervision, functions as a working supervisor over work crews, overseeing and supervising Concrete Laborers performing skilled manual work of a physical nature at assigned work sites, and performs related duties as required. Positions are allocated primarily to the Departments of Transportation
- Supervises concrete construction crews making daily work assignments, ensures work crews are properly staffed and prioritizes work orders based on available manpower, daily work orders and planned work objectives
- Prioritizes work order requests (such as estimating cost and time to complete work, scheduling and distributing work and equipment) and makes required re-assignment to ensure management directives are carried out and operational needs are met
- Prepares and maintains records (such as work complete, time spent per project, cost and materials used)
- Monitors work in progress, enforcing operating work procedures and ensuring staff compliance with established work safety rules, practices and requirements
- Responds to and resolves problems at work sites relating to personnel, equipment, performance issues and other factors impacting of crew productivity
- Provides safety instruction to staff to minimize employee accidents and to promote a safe work environment; reviews incidents of accidents and injuries and prepares reports
- Provides suggestions and estimates to engineers for project planning through the interpretation of blue prints, sketches, and written or verbal instructions
- Approves time off requests; monitors performance and conducts performance evaluations; and initiates and enforces disciplinary actions
- Prepares productivity reports, operational reports and related reports
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Location: 1501 W. Pershing Rd
Days: Monday – Friday
Hours: 7:00 am – 3:30 pm
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
Two years of work experience as a Concrete laborer
A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required.
Education & Employment Verification: Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it related to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diplomas must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
NOTE: You must also provide your valid U.S. driver’s license at time of processing.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
This position requires candidates to pass both a written job knowledge exam and a supervisory skills assessment. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been compiled and analyzed. Candidates will be hired in seniority order by time in title as defined by the collective bargaining agreement.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City of Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at 312-744-4976 (voice) or 312-744-5035 (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
Please note, all positions with the City of Chicago close promptly at C.S.T. Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59pm CST on August 22, 2019. No exceptions will be made.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer
City of Chicago Department of Human Resources
Lori E. Lightfoot, Mayor Soo Choi, Commissioner
Unposting Date: Aug 22, 2019, 11:59:00 PM