FIELD SUPVSR CDOT Job Number:320007
Department of Transportation
This position is covered under the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the County, Municipal Supervisors and Foremen Local 1001 (Bargaining unit 54). Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid on this position.
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT.
YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.”
(NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO OBTAIN YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, ANDSELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Number of Positions: 2
Under general supervision, supervises staff engaged in performing traffic surveys and field inspections of construction activity in the public way, and performs related duties as required
- Assists in prioritizing, scheduling, and assigning field inspection and traffic survey work to staff based on urgency, complexity, and staff availability
- Interprets and explains provisions of City codes and ordinances involving the public way to contractors and staff
- Supervises inspections of construction staging areas to ensure proper permitting, safety, and compliance with City ordinances
- Supervises inspections of the public way in response to complaints resulting from construction activity
- Participates in the development and implementation of work methods and standards for conducting inspections and traffic surveys
- Coordinates and participates in training staff
- Completes performance appraisals of staff and initiates and administers corrective or disciplinary action as necessary
- Reviews traffic survey data prepared by staff for completeness and appropriateness and approves recommendations on the approval or denial of requests for traffic sign installations
- Oversees the development of detour and sign plans for streets under construction
- Ensures that worn or damaged traffic signs are replaced in a timely manner
- Meets with contractors, aldermen, residents, and business owners to mediate noise and traffic complaints in connection with construction activity and to explain fees and procedures for the installation of traffic flow and parking restriction signs
- Maintains daily activity reports and prepares correspondence to elected officials
- Plans, assigns, and supervises the work of office support staff, as required
- Testifies at administrative hearings and in court as an expert witness on City codes concerning the public way, as required
- Conducts special projects or assignments requested by superiors, aldermen, and/or other departments, as required
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Location: 445 N. Sacramento
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
Five years of work experience inspecting public way construction and demolition projects, conducting traffic flow surveys, and/or determining street sign placement, including two years in a supervisory role related to the responsibilities of the position; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
Licensure, Certification, or Other Qualifications
- A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required
- Must have the permanent use of an automobile that is properly insured, including a clause specifically insuring the City of Chicago from accident liability
Salary: $75,780 – $127,536
Application Period: 5/31/19 – 6/14/19
Education & Employment Verification: Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it related to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diplomas must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
NOTE: You must also provide your valid U.S. driver’s license at time of processing.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
This position requires applicants to complete an interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City of Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at 312-744-4976 (voice) or 312-744-5035 (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation.
Please note, all positions with the City of Chicago close promptly at C.S.T. Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59pm CST on June 14, 2019. No exceptions will be made
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer
Unposting Date: Jun 14, 2019, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: $75,780 – $127,536Pay Basis:Yearly