JOB TITLE: GENERAL LABORER – STREETS & SANITATION
Department: STREETS & SANITATION
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF NORTH AMERICA LOCAL 1001 (BARGAINING UNIT 54).
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST APPLY ON THE BID ONLY SITE AT: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
(Once the website opens, scroll down and click on the button titled “Bid Opportunities.”)
IN ADDITION, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT. YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.”
(NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO GET YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION.
Number of Positions: 50 (SEASONAL)
NOTE: Eligible bid applicants may also be used to fill future vacancies in the Chicago Department of Aviation with a starting rate of $21.73
- Manually hang temporary NO PARKING signs for the Street Sweeping Program
- Load refuse carts by pushing/ wheeling carts to the back of refuse truck, positioning carts and operating hydraulic lever to lift, dump and compact the refuse into the truck’s hopper
- Work on graffiti removal crews, using soda blasting equipment by positioning and aiming hoses to remove graffiti from surfaces of structures
- Remove debris and bulk items to clean vacant lots, viaducts and homes under court ordered cleaning, shoveling, sweeping, and picking up garbage and loading onto trucks for removal
- Bait rat burrows with rodenticides, carrying buckets of rodenticide pellets and placing them directly into burrow, closing off burrow entrance and re-baiting as needed
- Clean and clear vacant lots and viaducts of debris, using shovels, picks, rakes and brooms to pick up and bag garbage and debris and load onto dump trucks
- Mounts quick hitch plows to refuse trucks, shovels sand to fill sand bags and manually spreads sand; breaks up salt to ensure proper spreading; loads, unloads and sets up barricades
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Location: various locations
Days Off: will vary
Shift: various shifts