PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT A DUPLICATE POSTING, THIS IS FOR AN ADDITIONAL 6 POSITIONS IN THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION. THAT’S 23 POSITIONS ADDED IN 3 DAYS, FEEL THE POWER!
CONCRETE LABORER – SEASONAL
Job Number: 9539-CDOT-2018
Department of Transportation
Number of positions: 6 Seasonal positions
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the County, Municipal Supervisors and Foremen Local 1001 (Bargaining unit 54).
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST APPLY ON THE BID ONLY SITE AT: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
(Once the website opens, scroll down and click on the button titled “Bid Opportunities.”)
IN ADDITION, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT. YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.”
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION.
Under immediate supervision, performs physically demanding manual labor relating to the laying and finishing of concrete for the construction, installation and repair of new or existing sidewalks, curbs and gutters, ramps and related construction projects, and performs related duties as required
- Loads and unloads materials, tools and equipment from trucks and ensures needed tools and equipment are on work site and in proper working order
- Operates and uses pneumatic jackhammers, sledgehammers and other power and hand tools to break out old pavement, concrete sidewalks, curbs and gutters and other labor work
- Operates skid-steer loaders to lift and remove concrete and other debris from work sites
- Assists Cement Finishers by laying out framing materials and setting and putting down frames as directed
- Prepares work site for concrete pour, using shovels and other hand tools to backfill area with sub-grade materials and to compact and level work area
- Guides the pouring of concrete from trucks into forms and uses shovels and other hand tools to spread, level and prepare for Cement Finishers to smooth and finish concrete
- Moves and transports freshly poured concrete from truck to work area using wheelbarrows; mixes and pours concrete in specified amounts as directed
- Removes and cleans forms, boards and stakes once job is completed, cleans tools and ensures debris is removed from work site
- Digs backfills and levels surface sub-grade for vaulted sidewalk construction jobs; backfills area with stone and compacts to build concrete walls
- Backfills trenches and holes created in parkways due to construction jobs, level surface dirt, seeds and performs other light landscaping duties to restore areas
- Cleans up work sites at completion of jobs, loading and removing debris, sweeping and clearing area and performing light landscaping duties to restore areas
- Sets up barricades and safety cones to cordon off work areas and performs other related tasks in compliance with safety rules and regulations
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
New hires will be sent to the Chicagoland Laborers Training and Apprentice Center for a one-week initial job training course. You must successfully complete the training course to remain employed by the Department of Transportation.
New hires will be paid as follows:
$29.90/hour for the first 1040 hours worked (70% of full rate)
$38.45/hour for the second 1040 hours worked (90% of full rate)
$42.72/hour after 2080 hours worked (100% full rate)
Location: Department of Transportation
Days off: Varies
Hours: 7:00am to 3:30pm
THESE ARE SEASONAL POSITIONS
One year of work experience as a general laborer on a construction work site.
A valid state of Illinois driver’s license is required.
Please note, all positions with the City of Chicago close promptly at C.S.T. Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59pm CST on January 12 , 2019. No exceptions will be made.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer
Unposting Date: Jan 12, 2019, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: See posting for salary