FIELD SERVICE SPECIALIST II
Department of Transportation
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the County, Municipal Supervisors and Foremen Local 1001 (Bargaining unit 54)
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST APPLY ON THE BID ONLY SITE AT: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
IN ADDITION, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT. YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.” (NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO OBTAIN YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAININGUNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION.
Number of Positions: 2
Under supervision, performs at the fully functional level, conducting traffic surveys and field inspections of construction activity in the public way, and performs related duties as required
- Conducts field inspections of construction, demolition, and excavation sites requiring a detailed knowledge of City codes to ensure the placement of proper barricades and signs for the safety of vehicular and pedestrian traffic
- Inspects construction staging areas to ensure compliance with relevant regulations (e.g., checking permits, confirming compliance of safety buffer zones with City ordinances)
- Inspects work sites to ensure the public way is safe and clear of obstructions and issues tickets for violations observed
- Inspects the public way in response to complaints from residents, aldermanic offices, and other departments regarding traffic impediments resulting from construction activity
- Interprets applicable city codes and ordinances to contractors and complaints
- Re-inspects problem areas to verify that ticketed violations have been corrected
- Conducts traffic surveys to identify current conditions (e.g., traffic capacity, parking restrictions) in connection with traffic engineering, traffic control, and parking studies
- Collects field information including the location traffic signs and markings and the direction and volume of traffic flow for use in determining the need for traffic signs
- Reviews field notes on current conditions and traffic accident data to recommend the removal or replacement of worn or damaged traffic signs
- Prepares work orders to replace worn or damaged traffic signs, pavement markings, and guardrails
- Prepares field sketches and charts to illustrate construction, current traffic conditions, and activities to support other survey data
- Maintains daily activity reports
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
For more info check out the Jobs tab on our app or the Local 1001 website.