SAFETY SPECIALIST – CHICAGO DEPARTMENT OF AVIATION
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST APPLY ON THE BID ONLY SITE AT: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
(Once the website opens, scroll down and click on the button titled “Bid Opportunities.”)
IN ADDITION, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT. YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HANDCORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.”
(NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO OBTAIN YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION.
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the Local 1001 of the LABORERS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF NORTH AMERICA (BU #54).
Under supervision, inspects safety and accident prevention practices activities in the work place of the Chicago Department of Aviation Construction Management group, and performs related duties as required. The position will inspects safety and accident prevention practices activities for construction activities of O’Hare 21 and capital improvement projects at O’Hare international and Midway International Airports.
The position assists the activities of the Chicago Department of Aviation Planning and Development Group to support the O’Hare 21 and capital improvement projects. The position inspects the activities of various construction firms that hold design-bid-build, JOC, and term contracts with the Chicago Department of Aviation. The projects vary in scope and complexity (small scale renovation work, airfield runway projects, large scale facility projects, etc.). The position leverages construction industry and aviation industry best practices.
- Assists in developing and implementing departmental safety regulations, policies and procedures
- Inspects work areas and/or construction sites to ensure working conditions are in compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards and municipal and state safety regulations and policies
- Makes recommendations to correct observed and reported safety violations and to implement safe work practices including the use of protective gear (e.g., helmets, steel tipped shoes, safety glasses, gloves)
- Ensures that safety precautions (e.g., sufficient lighting, warning signs, barricades) are posted near construction or hazardous sites
- Ensures proper procedures are followed and rescue equipment is accessible to crews working in confined spaces and during excavations
- Investigates accidents to determine their cause and to develop methods and procedures to prevent future occurrences
- Evaluates automotive and personal injury accident reports for evidence of cause and prepares reports on findings
- Conducts employee training sessions on safety policies and practices and arranges for product manufacturers to train employees on the proper use of safety equipment and gear
- Maintains complete and accurate records of personal injury and property accidents
- Reviews safety policies and practices and assists in updating departmental manuals and policies
- Drives to field sites to observe practices
- Other duties as assigned by management
Location: Aviation Administration Building, 10510 W. Zemke Road, Chicago
Division: Airport Planning and Development
Shift: Monday thru Friday
Hours: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
NOTE: This is a 24/7 on-call operations, will be subject to over-time based on operational needs.
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE.
An Associate’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university, plus one year of work experience in accident prevention and safety inspection OR at least two years of work experience in accident prevention and safety inspection.
Licensure, Certification, or Other Qualifications:
- OSHA and Construction related
- A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required. Requires obtaining an Airfield Basic Driving Certification (stripe) within six months of hire
- Asset management experience is preferred but not required
- Previous aviation industry or FAA experience is preferred but not required
- Commissioning experience is preferred but not required
- Building Automation Systems experience is preferred but not required
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume field.
NOTE: You must provide your transcripts or diploma, professional license, or training certificates at time of processing, if applicable. You must also provide your valid U.S. driver’s license at time of processing of processing.
This position requires applicants to complete an interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected.
NOTE: The candidate(s) selected for hire must pass an airport background check and a Security Threat Assessment (STA).
VETERANS PREFERENCE NOTE: The City of Chicago offers Veterans Preference to both current, active military personnel AND military personnel who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and have received an honorable or general discharge. Eligible candidates must have at least six months of active duty documented. In order to receive the veterans preference, candidates need to indicate whether or not they are a veteran by answering “yes” or “no” to the question on the online application that asks, “Are you currently serving on active duty for at least six months in the Armed Forces of the United States OR have you served in the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty for at least six months and received an honorable or general discharge?” In addition, you must attach documentation to verify your military service. For veterans, you must attach a copy of your DD214 to your online application which includes character of service status OR a letter from the United States Veterans Administration on official stationary stating dates of service and character of service. For active military personnel, you must attach a letter from your Commanding Officer on official stationary verifying your active duty, length of service, and character of service in the Armed Forces of the United States AND a copy of your military ID to your online application. Failure to answer the question and attach the required documentation will result in you not being considered for the Veterans Preference.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applications will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City of Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at 312-744-4976 (voice) or 312-744-5035. (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation request.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
Unposting Date: Sep 28, 2017, 11:59:00 PM