FIELD SERVICE SPECIALIST II
Department of Transportation
These positions are open to the general public and to all current city employees covered under the terms of the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the County, Municipal Supervisors and Foremen Local 1001 (Bargaining unit 54)
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST APPLY ON THE BID ONLY SITE AT: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
(Once the website opens, scroll down and click on the button titled “Bid Opportunities.”)
IN ADDITION, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT. YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.” (NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO OBTAIN YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAININGUNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION.
Number of Positions: 1
Under supervision, performs at the fully functional level, conducting traffic surveys and field inspections of construction activity in the public way, and performs related duties as required
- Inspects complaints from residents, aldermanic offices, and other departments regarding traffic impediments and roadway signage
- Conducts traffic surveys to identify current conditions (e.g., traffic capacity, parking restrictions) in connection with traffic engineering, traffic control, and parking studies
- Collects field information including the location traffic signs and markings and the direction and volume of traffic flow for use in determining the need for traffic signs
- Reviews field notes on current conditions and traffic accident data to recommend the removal or replacement of worn or damaged traffic signs
- Prepares work orders to replace worn or damaged traffic signs, pavement markings, and guardrails
- Prepares field sketches and charts to illustrate construction, current traffic conditions, and activities to support other survey data
- Maintains daily activity reports
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Location: 3458 S. Lawndale
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
- Two years of work experience inspecting public way construction and demolition projects, or interpreting blue prints for public way construction and demolition projects; or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required
- Must have the permanent use of an automobile that is properly insured, including a clause specifically insuring the City of Chicago from accident liability
Education & Employment Verification: Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
NOTE: Persons hired into this title must have the permanent use of an automobile that is properly insured including a clause specifically insuring the City of Chicago from accident liability.
You must provide your valid U.S. driver’s license AND proof of automobile insurance at the time of processing.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience.You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
This position requires applicants to successfully pass a skills assessment test and complete an interview. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been compiled and analyzed. Applicants who receive a passing score on the test will be selected to interview. The interviewed candidate(s) receiving a passing score on the test and possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral interview and written exercise, will be selected for hire.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
· Previous work experience with drafting
· Previous work experience in the field with roadway signage and safety regulations
· Previous work experience with the MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices)
Application Instructions: Interested applicants should apply at the City of Chicago’s application website: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
VETERANS PREFERENCE NOTE: The City of Chicago offers Veterans Preference to both current, active military personnel ANDmilitary personnel who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and have received an honorable or general discharge. Eligible candidates must have at least six months of active duty documented. In order to receive the veterans preference, candidates need to indicate whether or not they are a veteran by answering “yes” or “no” to the question on the online application that asks, “Are you currently serving on active duty for at least six months in the Armed Forces of the United StatesOR have you served in the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty for at least six months and received an honorable or general discharge?” In addition, you must attach documentation to verify your military service. For veterans, you must attach a copy of your DD214 to your online application which includes character of service status OR a letter from the United States Veterans Administration on official stationery stating dates of service and character of service. For active military personnel, you must attach a letter from your Commanding Officer on official stationery verifying your active duty, length of service, and character of service in the Armed Forces of the United States AND a copy of your military ID to your online application. Failure to answer the question and attach the required documentation will result in you not being considered for the Veterans Preference
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at 312-744-4976 (voice) or 312-744-5035 (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer
Job Posting: Dec 28, 2016, 12:00:00 AM |
Unposting Date: Jan 13, 2017, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: $54,972 |