Job Number: 276014
Department of Transportation
This position is covered under the City’s collective bargaining agreement with the County, Municipal Supervisors and Foremen – Local 1001 (Bargaining Unit 54). Only employees in City job titles in this bargaining unit are eligible to bid on this position.
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CITY EMPLOYEE AND WANT TO EXERCISE YOUR CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS TO BID, YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX ON THE CAREERS APPLICATION TITLED “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY”, CORRECTLY ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT.
YOU MUST USE THE EMPLOYEE NUMBER FOUND ON THE UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF YOUR PAY CHECK STUB LABELED “PAYEE/EMPLOYEE NUMBER.”
(NO OTHER FORMAT OR SYSTEM CAN BE USED TO OBTAIN YOUR EMPLOYEE NUMBER).
FAILURE TO CHECK THE “ALREADY EMPLOYED BY THIS COMPANY” BOX, ENTER YOUR EMPLOYEE ID, AND SELECT THE CORRECT BARGAINING UNIT WILL RESULT IN A REJECTED BID APPLICATION
Number of Positions: 1
Under supervision, directs and coordinates the work of Foremen and work crews engaged in general labor for electrical work operations, building maintenance or grounds keeping work activities, and performs related duties as required
· Directs large scale construction work operations relating to the asphalt paving and resurfacing of city streets, alleys and roads; coordinates and monitors the work of Foremen and work crews engaged in preparing work sites for resurfacing and in the spreading, finishing and compacting of asphalt materials and the operation of asphalt equipment to maintain and repair surfaces
· Directs large scale electrical work operations relating to labor and maintenance functions including construction labor relating to the installation of lighting and traffic signal infrastructure in the public way, building maintenance or ground keeping work activities, and storage and retrieval work related relating to the Division of Electrical Operations warehouse operations
· Plans, schedules and executes work projects in coordination with management personnel to meet department’s objectives, priorities and performance measures; prepares work schedules for a large labor staff, ensuring the effective and efficient utilization of manpower
· Authorizes and approves the requisitioning of work materials, supplies and equipment to complete work projects
· Enforces safety requirements, inspecting work sites to ensure work crews follow established safety procedures and practices; works with Foremen to ensure work procedures and practices are in compliance with departmental, federal and state safety standards and regulations
· Responds to major incidents or problems at work sites, coordinating work efforts with Foremen to ensure timely resolution of problems and minimal delay of work progress
· Works with management in developing and establishing performance measures, productivity and quality work standards
· Monitors and evaluates work performance of subordinate staff and prepares performance appraisals
· Attends disciplinary hearings for staff; initiates and enforces disciplinary actions as required; responds to and resolves work related conflicts or problems with staff; enforces personnel rules
· Prepares various management reports on unit’s work activities and accomplishments
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Location: 2451 S. Ashland
Shift: 6:00am – 2:30pm
Days: Monday – Friday
THIS POSITION IS IN THE CAREER SERVICE
Five years of experience performing asphalt resurfacing, general labor for electrical work operations, building maintenance, or grounds keeping work, of which three years of work experience are in a supervisory role related to the responsibilities of the position.
A valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required.
Education & Employment Verification: Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it related to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diplomas must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
NOTE: You must also provide your valid U.S. driver’s license at time of processing.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
This position requires candidates to pass both a written job knowledge exam and a supervisory skills assessment, and complete an interview. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been compiled and analyzed. Candidates who pass both tests will be selected to interview. Candidates will be hired in seniority order by time in title as defined by the collective bargaining agreement.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City of Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at 312-744-4976 (voice) or 312-744-5035 (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer
Job Posting: Nov 8, 2016, 12:01:00 AM |
Unposting Date: Nov 22, 2016, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: $44.59 |
Salary: $44.59 |
Pay Basis :Hourly