Under general supervision, functions as a working supervisor over work crews, overseeing and supervising Concrete Laborers performing skilled manual work of a physical nature at assigned work sites, and performs related duties as required. Positions are allocated primarily to the Departments of Transportation.
- Supervises concrete construction crews making daily work assignments, ensures work crews are properly staffed and prioritizes work orders based on available manpower, daily work orders and planned work objectives
- Prioritizes work order requests (such as estimating cost and time to complete work, scheduling and distributing work and equipment) and makes required re-assignment to ensure management directives are carried out and operational needs are met
- Prepares and maintains records (such as work complete, time, material, and equipment used per project)
- Monitors work in progress, enforcing operating work procedures and ensuring staff compliance with established work safety rules, practices and requirements
- Responds to and resolves problems at work sites relating to personnel, equipment, performance issues and other factors impacting of crew productivity
- Provides safety instruction to staff to minimize employee accidents and to promote a safe work environment; reviews incidents of accidents and injuries and prepares reports
- Provides suggestions and estimates to engineers for project planning through the interpretation of blue prints, sketches, and written or verbal instructions
- Prepares productivity reports, operational reports and related reports
Education & Employment Verification: Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diploma must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
This position requires candidates to pass both a written job knowledge exam and a supervisory skills assessment. Test results will be sent out by the Department of Human Resources after test results have been analyzed and complied. Candidates who pass both tests will be hired in seniority order by time in title as defined by the collective bargaining agreement.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.